Friday, May 14, 2010

How can I keep my dog's nails from getting so sharp?

My dog never scratches on purpose but he'll kind of paw at you for attention sometimes. His little nails are so sharp though! I bought some doggy nail clippers and trimmed his nails and that just made it worse. Is there anything that I can do to dull his nails?How can I keep my dog's nails from getting so sharp?
sure. once you trim his nails back a little, use a regular emery board/nail file to take the edge off. if he fidgets too much, have someone distract him by holding a nice treat for him, but not actually let him grab it out of their hand. he'll be so busy trying to lick it or gnaw it that he won't notice you quickly filing the sharp edges off each nail. it only takes a couple rubs on each nail to dull it down nicely.





there is also a way of snipping the nails that takes the top sharpness off the nail. you snip the main part of the nail, then tilt it up just a tad and cut again, taking just the tiniest sharpness off the top of the already-trimmed nail. (ask your vet or groomer to show you how it's done, so you don't have to worry about clipping it too far.)





the more often you do his nails, the easier it will become as he gets used to it.How can I keep my dog's nails from getting so sharp?
The best way to keep a dogs nails short is through outdoor play and walking. Take him for daily walks on hard surfaces(street, side walk, etc), or just play with him in the yard. Plenty of running will wear down the nails. I have an year old shepherd mix that never has had his nails clipped, but he spends a lot of time running outside.
When i took my puppy to get her nails clipped they offered to have them grinded instead and that was better. It made them smoother and she didn't seem to mind it. I am afraid to cut them myself because her nails are completely black so i can't tell where the quick is
you can file them after clipping them. you can just use a regular nail file and smooth the edges down so they aren't so sharp.
I file mine with a dremel tool and it shortens them and does not leave sharp edges and you are less likely to cut the quick.
The big nail files designed for artificial nails works great, as do long walks on rough concrete.
well if he has some concreate to walk on then that will auto maticly do it for you but the nail cutting thing is they can leave jaged edges and they can hurt even worse then the uncut nail
you can normaly buy rubber nale covers at your pet mart or vet office
Walk him on the streets. It will file his nails.
Plenty of walks on pavement is best for that.

1 comment:

  1. My dog never scratches on purpose but he'll kind of paw at you for attention sometimes. His little nails are so sharp though! I bought some doggy nail clippers and trimmed his nails and that just made it worse. Is there anything that I can do to dull his nails?

    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Dog nail grinder reviews

    ReplyDelete