Tuesday, May 11, 2010

How can I make my dogs nails less sharp?

Every time she jumps up it looks like Freddy Kruger scratched me. I've cut her nails, but it doesn't help much.How can I make my dogs nails less sharp?
grinding the nails with a Dremel tool works the best. Most groomers and vets should have them. Ask for your dogs nails to be ground and ask them to ';round'; themHow can I make my dogs nails less sharp?
Best thing is to have them dremmeled down. Pet stores sell a dremmel kit for dogs nails, it's like getting nails buffed with a grinder/sandpaper type tool, you can get them shorter and square them off and round them out to be smoother, your vet will also do this for you and the nails tend to stay shorter longer than regular nail clipping. There is also a product that is called soft paws or soft claws and they are nail caps that you glue onto the dogs nails. They are plastic and very soft, it prevents the dogs nails from scratching you and also scratching up wood floors if you have them. They are safe and harmless you just have to change them once a month.
I have four chihuahua's and their nails get very sharp after I clipi them. To fix this problem I use a dremel tool to sand them smooth. You want to be careful when doing this, Run the dremel at a very low speed and only hold the it onto the nail for a couple of seconds, then remove and apply again. Keep doing this until each nail is smooth. You need to do this because the dremel will heat up, so by removing it for a second or two in between it will cool down.
My groomer has a new tool that gets rid of my dogs sharp nails. She used to scratch the heck out of me. Now her nails are smooth. Also, if your dogs groomer doesn't know of the new tool, I saw it advertised on tv last night so she should know about it, you can try running with your dog on cement (if you are able) It smooth their nails.
I know what you are talking about everytime i used to cut my dogs nails it was bad for me. What i did was i got a nail file like a human one and just filed the tips of their nails. Now they are tottaly smooth and never hurt. Good Luck!!!!!
I recently saw on the Animal Planet network that you should not cut a dog's nails, but should file them. You can find nail files for dogs on some of the pet supply websites.
Thats easy..simply get out your big black emery board and file the nail as if it were your own .It really doesnt require much time .Please do not use a dremel unless you are very experienced in using one.
Let her walk and run on concrete a few times a week or use a Dremel fitting on her nails and grind them down.
There are a few pet dremmel tools on the market that ';file'; your dog's nails. One of them is called Peticure:





http://peticure.com
the more your dog runs around, the more run down her nails will get. she probably should run on hard concrete outside :]
Walking the dog usually helps.
Try to use sandpaper.It's just like nail filers for us to make our nails smoother.
I have always liked the Dremel tool the best.
Train the dog to not jump on you.....

No comments:

Post a Comment