Friday, May 14, 2010

How often do you get your dogs nails trimmed?

I figure obviously go when they're long, but how long does it take for them to grow where they need a nail trim?


So how often do you take your dogs to get their nails trimmed?How often do you get your dogs nails trimmed?
I do Gracie's about twice a month, Maddie's about once a month. Gracie's seem to grow more quickly, either that or they don't wear down as easily because her paws have more fur on them.





I trim them at home, rather than take them somewhere. $10 or so per month, every month, would really add up over a dog's lifetime. I'd rather save the money and spend it on chews or toys for them, or something similar.How often do you get your dogs nails trimmed?
i do it once a week. You have to maintain them and DO NOT let them get too long, the quick grows longer as the nail grows longer, so you cant just get them cut short when they're long, it will cut the quick and it will gush blood and be very painful :[





however if the nails DO get long, then clip once a week little by little and the quick will eventually recede.





Keep them nice and short and your dog will be happy and healthy :]
Ours only needs his nails trimmed every few months when he gets professionally groomed. He's outside a lot, walking on concrete sidewalks so they just naturally stay pretty short.





Best way to tell if they need a nail trim is if the end of the nail is longer than the pads of their feet. I've seen dogs with their nails curled under because they are never walked outside or get their nails regularly cut.
if your dog has black nails.. i would suggest every 2 weeks.. i do my chocolate labs nails every 2 weeks exactly on Sundays, i cut them and use the dremmel (spelling) it's like pedipaws but better.. to smooth them out and make them shorter if i want too... Black nails are tough, the main reason why i got the dremmel.





add: the reason why the black nails are harder to trim, is because you can't see the quick.. with dogs with white nails, you can.. it's the pinkish part you can see inside the nail.
I probably do it once a month for my Shepherd mix, and twice a month for my dachshund cause his grow insanely fast, but if I know I'm going to have people over or we are going somewhere special; I always make sure their nails are trimmed, and filed so they have no sharp edges.
I have never clipped my dogs nails, because she naturally wares them down. Most of the dogs I know get their nails clipped when there ready for a groom so maybe about 6-8 weeks but it depends on weather the dogs wares the nails down, or how fast they grow.
I'm working on doing it myself, and try to do it every week or two so I can keep them at a reasonable length without having to worry about needing to trim ';too much'; off of them and increasing the risk of quicking them.
I trim my dogs nails about once or twice a month.





Once is a certain thing. Twice is only if I notice that they are scratching me more when we play.





They are too long if the nail touches the floor at all times.
I do my dogs' nails every month. I don't take them to groomers to have it done. I do it myself, always have.





I walk my dogs on pavement so this wears their nails down too.
well i have a 5 month old chihuahua and we trim her nails about once a month. sometimes 2.





emilyelisabeth
It very much depends on the season for me. My dogs are outside a lot during the warmer seasons so they don't need clipping. In the winter, about every few weeks.
I dremmel my dogs nails every week.





My dogs are active and out and about with me on my horse ranch but their nails do not wear down.
I do it every month or so. In the winter when she walks less I do it every couple of weeks.
about once a month to twice a month or every two months it depends on nail growth and sharpness

No comments:

Post a Comment