Monday, May 10, 2010

Can I file down my kittens nails without hurting her?

Her claws are sharp as little needles and they are tearing into my flesh like little razors. While I know she is a kitten and the scratches really aren't that bad, I do still want to shorten them.





I am not comfortable using clippers and neither is my mom and she won't be going to the vert for another two weeks.





So, is it alright and, will it work, if I file down her nails with a regular nail file?Can I file down my kittens nails without hurting her?
You can get clippers which are specially designed for trimming cat claws, but I wouldn't use them on a kitten. Try and encourage her to use the scratching post - difficult, I know, because it's probably your movements and noises as you try to get away from the scratches that is part of the attraction!





I use the clippers for one of my cats - she rarely goes outside for any length of time, having been scared as a young cat, and although she uses the scratching post, her claws tend to grow overlong. The one thing you do have to be careful of is that you don't trim the claws too far back - otherwise they bleed like billy-o! You can see on the claws how far down the blood supply goes - NEVER trim close to this, as you can guarantee your cat will twitch and your aim will be off.





For the moment, I would say the best option is trying the sandpaper, rather than trying to use a nail file - a kitten is unlikely to stay in one place long enough for you to give her a manicure, and the fine sandpaper will probably get most of her claws in one go.Can I file down my kittens nails without hurting her?
Just clip the very tips when she is sleeping or get soft paws put on her.
Take her to Petsmart it only cost a few dollars to have the groomers do it.
Please don't do it yourself - either get her a scratching post - or better still, take her to the vet where she can be given her jabs and have a full health check-up at the same time. The only problem you're likely to experience is the necessity to take out a second mortgage to pay for it all !^^
How old it the kitten? I wouldn't touch the nails until she is at least 6 months. You could LIGHTLY file them just enough to take the very tip of the sharp off but NO MORE... they need their claws to be able to grab and hold on to stuff.... even you! lol... but you can traini her not to use them on you... ROFLH... Take her to the groomer or vet if you're not certain how far to go. They do have scratching posts that you can get also.
OK you really shouldn't file down kittens nails specially since shes so young. you can easily damage them and if you go to the quick (the meat under her skin) you can make her bleed. buy her a scratching post and teach her how to use it. as they get older they eventually wear doen the nails and you dont have to worry about cutting or ';filing'; them. i really advice you to take her to a professional if you really feel she needs a cut.
I good idea is to pop some really fine sandpaper around a scratching post and she will file them herself when she has a scratch!!!!
you DONT and SHOULDNT file a cats /kittens claws they need to stay sharp so they climb etc , they will keep them sharp when they are out and about thats why you should invest in scratching post, you may notice the outer casing fall off a cats claws, thats normal , once that comes off, fresh new claw is seen and thats sharp, I never once filed my cats claws when i had them xx
Nooooooooo! please don't. Kittens have sharp claws. When thy get older and start getting out and about they start to wear them and they become less pointed.
I would advise against it. You could do irreparable damage to a kitten. Wait for the vet.
can u find a nail file in a pet shop for cats or dogs? if they havent invented one for sale, then its best u take her to a pet groomer or use the clipper... pls dont use the regular nail file cos u need to apply pressure on e nails to shorten it. this might hurt their thin nails. i hope u get it..
  • medication cream
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment