Thursday, January 21, 2010

How can I remove roofing nails that were hammerd through to my shed ceiling?

This poses a dangerous condition inside of the shed. The nails are too thick to be ';nipped'; off easily. Plus, it still leaving a sharp cut off point and is not flush to the ceiling. Would it cause a problem down the road when the roof is removed, if I bend the sharp points down by hammering the tips sideways so that they're flush against the ceiling?How can I remove roofing nails that were hammerd through to my shed ceiling?
Don't bend them over. This can pull the nail through the shingle. I understand that this poses a hazard, but it's a necessary hazard. If you would like to stop getting poked, you can take Styrofoam a little thicker than the projection of the nail, cut it to fit between the rafters, and press it to the underside of the roof. You may need to use a couple of blocks of wood to hold it in place. Hope this helps.





EDIT: Explanation- If the nails stick through 1';, use 1-1/2'; Styrofoam. And pounding them back through will knock the shingles off. Good luck.How can I remove roofing nails that were hammerd through to my shed ceiling?
I definitely second the styrofoam concept. If you start fooling with the nails you will make room for leakage - then you will have problems. I had a neighbor who had a shed similar to yours, and we installed the s/f. What I had to do with his was I used Liquid Nail and some blocks of wood; stapled the s/f to it - problem good - happy neighbor. Good luck.
Well, whenever you replace the roof it will be harder to remove the nails since they are bent.





There are some nippers I've seen my dad use that would nip them off easily. It has about a foot long handle . It looks something like this:





http://www.neeps.com/071978.html?product鈥?/a>





A nail nipper like the one I suggested would nip the nail flush to the cieling and with long enough handles should nip the nail easily.





I'd be wary of the foam. You could still easily gouge yourself even with the foam on them.
Give Woodtick the 10 pts. the two answers after his are from morons! Cutting the nails off will only cause the shingles to blow off, bending the ends over will pull the nail heads through the shingle and they will either blow off or just fall off. I did the same as he suggested in my attic several years ago and haven't poked myself since.





Good luck!
why don;t you just hammer them through the inside out and take them out that way.it might take some time but you will get them all out.

No comments:

Post a Comment