Thursday, January 21, 2010

What's a good way to clip my cat's nails with a human nail clipper?

We've done it before but sometimes my cat bleeds or feels anxious/uncomfortable. No, we're not able to get one specially for animals. Help?What's a good way to clip my cat's nails with a human nail clipper?
I use a fingernail clipper, not a toenail one, on my cats all the time (I think the others are a waste of money and difficult to use). It's very important not to cut the nail so far down to the ';pink'; part where the blood is and just do the tips. I have learned over the years that it's mainly important for me to stay calm and not put out the vibe that I am afraid they are going to freak out, they are veryt sensitive to someone who is nervous and unsure.





I just calmly sit next to my guys when they are napping, pet them for awhile, talk baby talk and then slowly extend their nails by pushing lightly on their paw and then just snip the ends. I never force them to do it, if they just don't want to be there I just let them go and try it another time. As a result they now they don't even budge and just go back to sleep. You might try giving your kitty a little treat afterwards so he associates the clipping with the treat.





Best of luck!What's a good way to clip my cat's nails with a human nail clipper?
You can use a nail file also, although using a human nail clipper is perfectly acceptable--as long as you trim only the very ends.





My dad was gonna get our new kitten de-clawed, but he called the vet and they told him the cat must be at least three months old. They also told him to use a human nail clipper until then. n_n
Getting the right tool would cost less than getting the materials to staunch the bleeding when it goes wrong. Hopefully you wouldn't just let the nail bleed.
I would not clip its nails with a human nail clipper.

No comments:

Post a Comment