Tuesday, January 19, 2010

How to clip my hamsters nails without hurting her?

My hamster Tilly is REALLY tame but she won't let me hold her paw. She is 15 weeks old and her nails are getting really long they have never been cut! How would i be able to hold her paw steady? And can i use small nail scissors or clippers?


Thanks in advance for answering


Amy :)How to clip my hamsters nails without hurting her?
A VERY fine file will be alright, but you have to be very careful with it.





I used to have to trim my dwarf hamsters nails occasionally. My trick was to preoccupy them with food and them quickly grab their foot and trim the nails with baby nail clippers. However, a few of them would just drop the food and bite me. xD








Some people will put fine-grain sandpaper on their wheel for a little bit and let them run on that. It will shorten the nails a bit. I don't like that idea very much though, because I think it would hurt their feet. I'd only do that if you absolutely cannot get her to cooperate.How to clip my hamsters nails without hurting her?
If you are having trouble clipping your hamsters nails you can get the vet to do them but this will cost money. But I am sure that as she has never had them clipped before is just takes time having her nails clipped. May be if you do it regulary to begin with then as she gets use to this happening you won't have to do it as regulary as before as long as you keep the nails trimed.
The only way is to take her to the vet. Or you can get a hamster scratching post. The vet has a clipper that is painless, but she won't like it. I got the hamster scratching post for my hamster. His nails are always average and he cuts them painlessly and by himself. The way they did them in the wild before they were brought in as pets.
when we had our hamster we never had to cut her nails what we did was put very fine sandpaper in the bottom of a box to walk over.i think if they do need done i would take her to the vet i would check as well if you plan to do them yourself because if they are the same as guinea pigs and cats they have a vein in the centre of the nail which you have to be careful not to cut to near to it as it will bleed.not sure if you can file them or not.
the best way to file any rodent's nails down is to place a peice of sand paper in their cage for an hour by their water or food. that way it files them down. but remember to take it out after an hour so it doesn't get chewed up or file them down to much
you can if the hamster will let you otherwise take her to the vet
you wont be able to do it yourself if she wont let you. i have tried to clip my hamster's nails but she wont let me either!
get the vet 2 do it





good luck amy

No comments:

Post a Comment