Saturday, January 23, 2010

How long should my rabbits nails be when they are trimmed?

I'm about to trim my newly adopted rabbit's nails for the first time. She has been extremely neglected and I really don't think she's ever had her nails trimmed. She's very gentle and sweet, so I'm not worried about the squirming. I'm just going to take a bit off every week until they are down to a healthy length so that I give the quick a chance to slide back. I just don't know how long her nails should be at a health length so I know where to work down to.How long should my rabbits nails be when they are trimmed?
animals nails have a vein running down them.





this vein will receede when the nails are continuously trimmed or rubbed back by walking on rough surfaces.





when are you trimming her nails be very careful of ths vein - if you cut it, not only does it hurt bunny, but it will bleed excessively.


If you do accidentally cut it, dont panic, just apply pressure to it unil it stops.





in some rabbits you might be able to see the red/vein.... probably not though if its nails are black.





To avoid this vein, it is best to cut a tiny bit off at a time. less is better. then leave it for a week and cut another little bit off... do this til you have them to a suitable length, then just keep them that long.


.How long should my rabbits nails be when they are trimmed?
Raspberry is correct and very knowledgeable so I suspect that Raspberry is either a groomer or has had rabbits or perhaps is even a vet or vet tech.


Not many people know what Raspberry has told you but now you do. . . .
I used to trim my rabbits nails after they were very long. I had to stop waiting so long because one day i noticed a small cut on her face from when she would clean her self. I suggest that you do cut a little at a time, but you really don't have to go week by week. You can go day by day if you want, until they are at a reasonable length. Also, cut your rabbits nails in a well lit area so that u can see how far you can cut down. Where the red veins start is too far . Your rabbits nails may be so long that the red veins may be very close to the tip, in that case you will need to go week by week in order to train the nails. After the nails are down to a length you like I think you should trim them once a month. That is what I do and I never have a problem with her nails being to long. Hope this helps..
  • medication cream
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment