Monday, May 10, 2010

How do I get my hamsters nails shorter?

His nails are starting to get reallly really long! And I honestly can't do them myself since he is a jumpy dwarf hamster.


I have tried one method so far:


The sandpaper on wheel, but it hasn't worked. Help!!How do I get my hamsters nails shorter?
They won't like the sandpaper (it gets their nails but it hurts the soft part of their feet)





Try putting a stick (from a branch, just make sure it's nontoxic for hamsters) in the cage. They like climbing on things so it'll wear the nails down naturally. Also, put in paper towel tubes or other cardboard items, they like to chew/dig at them, and that will also wear down its teeth and nailsHow do I get my hamsters nails shorter?
get one person to hold it and use the nailcutter
use an electric sander as a treadmill after 15 seconds on high it shouldnt be a problem!
take him to a vet to get them trimmed
You can use a nail clipper or file them. Be careful and have steptic powder or cornstarch ready in case you get too close to the quick, it will bleed!
i don't know file them i suppose
NEVER use sand paper it will tear their feet. put a piece of brick in the cage for them to scratch on.
The best thing to do is take it to the vets, although I did this and they told me to line the base of the cage with sandpaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment