Friday, January 15, 2010

What kind of nails/screws should I use to hang curtain rods in apartment drywall?

Where can I buy them? How can I make sure they are set up at the correct height and even?What kind of nails/screws should I use to hang curtain rods in apartment drywall?
well I have hung my shall of c rods, honey doos, what I have used that works well,with alot of nails dont work or plastic anchors that dont work either because of the movement of the curtains when moving them to close or open is 1/8inchby 3inch toggle bolts, look at the window casing and see if its square with the wall and the ceiling. Measure twice and check your layout twice believe me this works, mark your holes, and get your brackets ready to put , but before u do put a washer between the bracket and the wall before u put the toggle bolt in the wall, the washer will give a hard surface for the bracket to rest on instead of the drywall, and it will last forever with no creep probs later good luckWhat kind of nails/screws should I use to hang curtain rods in apartment drywall?
What a surprise! I just finished hanging our drapery Travis rods. For hanging yours, you could screw them right into the wood frame that holds the aluminium window frame into place.The wood frame should be about 2'; all around the window. I would pre-drill,just to make sure you will be hitting wood , then mark how high you want it, and with a straight edge,or yard stick, draw a light line across to the other side. You then use a level on top of that line,to make sure it is straight. I would use a # 10 1 1/2 pan head sheet metal screw, and a 6/32 drill bit to pre drill with. If you want it higher ,or wider then the wood frame, you will need toggle bolts . I wouldn't recommend anything else.Be sure to get them long enough to clear the drywall, and you will probably need a 1/2 inch -3/4 inch drill bit, to pre drill the holes for them. I would get a wood,or spade bit for that because they are less expensive to use for a one time job. with the head of the screw on the toggle bolt facing you, make sure you put the toggle part on ,so that it folds together towards you. Once inside the hole in the wall, it unfolds behind the drywall, and you will need to pull a little on the screw, while tightening it. Right to tight,left to loose. Byee
the hangers should have screws with them. you would need to get a screw that will fit the holes in the hangers. get a level to insure the rod is level. if you do not have these items, a hardware store will have them

No comments:

Post a Comment