Wednesday, January 13, 2010

How do you trim guinea pig nails if the nails are black?

I cant see the quick on her nails that are black,


and I need to trim them. Please don't answer just with a go to the vet because I'll do that if I don't find out.


Thanks soooooo much


I WILL pick ';best answer';!How do you trim guinea pig nails if the nails are black?
For black nails, the advised thing to do is cut off a very very small bit from the tip of the nail. Then after a few days or a week, cut off a little bit again. Even though you can't see it happening, by cutting the nail, the quick shrinks in size. So if you cut little by little, you can ensure you won't go to far into the nail.





You could also try shining a bright light from underneath the nail to see if you can find the quick.





Have a look at http://www.guinealynx.com/nails.html





It gives a great description on the proper way to cut guinea pig nails. It even has pictures of how to hold the guinea pig to prevent them escaping or biting. Hope this helps.How do you trim guinea pig nails if the nails are black?
I would just cut below the bend of the nail. Only cut about 3 millimeters off the first time.





Do not worry too much. I have accidentally cut the 'quick' (skin in nail) before. It bleeds but not for long, and they hardly feel it. If it happens wash the claw under running water and then put flour on the wound. Obviously take care and TRY your hardest not to, but do not panic or feel too guilty :)
terra cotta pots. it files nails and everything.


they choose how they want them cut.


http://images.google.com/images?q=terra+鈥?/a>


thats what they look like.


please dont attempt to clip them yourself.


they could start to bleed and then you need starch or flour, or something to stop the bleeding.
I agree with Jenni. However, as my guinea wasn't always in the mood to get his nails trimmed when he needed them trimmed and was very jumpy, it became a little difficult to look under them and keep my guinea still enough to be sure not to have slipped with the nail-cutter.


Are all his nails black? If so, my method won't help you. My guinea had black as well as white nails on his paws, so I generally (when he was that jumpy) cut the white one's first and than cut the black (accordingly) a little longer, so I was sure not to hurt him.


Hope that helped! Dont get too scratched up! ;))
Trim just a little at a time very carefully or shine a light on it's nails.
there will be a ridge or looks like a little scoop was taken out of under that part of the nail if you dont know what i mean...just look under the nail...just look closely and dont cut passed that...its where the quick starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment